Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Haunting Depths

Yesterday evening I was able to borrow the van, (because as you all know my truck is dead) so Jared and I decided that we should go swimming at the YMCA. We arrived at the pool around 7:45. After swimming some laps, messing around etc... we discovered some weights. So naturally, we considered it a challenge to discover what we could use the weights for, and to maximize their "fun potential" to the utmost. So we began by taking one of the 8-pound weights in each hand and allowing them to drag us to the bottom and then try to swim back up with them. This was fun for a few minutes but we soon lost interest.

First of all, i would like to mention that the following events resulted from a of dare that i received from jared that goes something like this... "jordan i bet you can't get all four of those weights from the bottom of the pool up here in one breath." Of course i asked what i got out of the deal, so jared replied that if i were to do so, he would purchase a candy bar of my choice for me. Satisfied as to the reward i proceded to bring all the weights up successfully thereby earning the candy bar.

Before i procede further in this narration i would like to clarify the rules of this "game" if you will.

1.) You must bring all objects from the bottom of the pool and place them on the side of the pool with one breath.
2.) You must bring all objects from the bottom of the pool and place them on the side of the pool in one trip.

So after i had successfully completed the first challenge jared decided to try a second. We had found another 5-pound weight and three diving rings that we decided to incorporate into our game. The goal this time was to bring all 5 weights and the 3 diving rings to the side of the pool following the rules posted above. Naturally if i was able to retrieve all the items in one attempt jared would magnanimously purchase for me an additional 4 candy bars. The pressure of the water, the weight of the objects and the pounding of my lungs weighed down upon my mind and body, but i was able to surmount the obstacles and win the "challenge."

It is most difficult to relate the next and final series of events but i will attempt to do so to the best that i am able. Jared was not satisfied with me achieving his dare, so he came up with a third and final dare. It was simply this, to bring all 5 weights and 3 rings from the bottom to the side of the pool WITH MY EYES CLOSED. At first i was speechless with incredulity. I didn't think that there was any way in the world that i could accomplish this feat. After all, the objects were on the bottom of a 12 foot pool, and the 5 weights were not light by any means. Nevertheless i resolved to try, spurred on by the offer of 100 fun-size candy bars.

My first try was unsuccessful, as were my second and third. The water and the weights combined to press my straining body unmercifully against the bottom in the seemingly crushing depths. If only it were just these obstacles that i had to surmount, but alas, i had to battle the elements of this challenge in inky blackness. As i stated earlier i was required to relinquish my goggles and close my eyes before i attempted this test of mind and body.

However, after three unsuccessful attempts i was resolved that i would succede the next time or perish in the murky depths with the objects that i so desperately tried to bring to the surface. Floundering around on the bottom of the pool, I was able to find all the weights and rings. Bracing myself, against the bottom, I pushed off and shot towards the surface, my hand reached forward in anticipation and of the successful termination of the attempt. My hand groped for the top of the pool wall, but i began to fall back down, towards the seemingly bottomless oblivion, desperately i reached for the side of the wall, but it evaded me. I felt the bottom of the pool and once again braced myself, pushed and shot towards the surface. Again i sank to the bottom without having achieved my goal. I resolved to try once more, my arms and legs ached terribly, my lungs pounded and my mind whirled. Again i braced myself, pushed off and shot towards the surface my hand broke through the wall of water, finding the wall i grasped it with one hand and racing against time i heaved one weight after another onto the side of the pool. Throwing the rings alongside the weights my head shot above the surface of the water. I opened my eyes gasping for breath, almost numb with lack of oxygen, i had succeded!

Shortly after that, jared and i got out of the pool, and showered off, get dressed and set off. If you care to learn more of the details following the successful termination of the above challenges i would recommend that you read jared's post on the subject or talk to me or jared about it.

Thanx for reading, and remember its a dangerous world out there.

13 Comments:

Blogger Mae said...

you.are.crazy.

yep.

6:15 PM  
Blogger MEC said...

It seems to only be dangerous when Jared is around

2:36 PM  
Blogger JJewell06 said...

so it would seem

4:35 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Wow.
Can I have some of your candy?

7:45 PM  
Blogger julio said...

you know ive been thinking about that,, i dont think you could do it again if we didnt set all the things all next to eachother,,, maybe we'll have to see.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i have some of your candy too?

~ jacob

4:03 PM  
Blogger julio said...

uh oh,, code purple!! little brother online! everyone take evasive action. ill send in blue team to take him out. lets move people!

8:04 PM  
Blogger JJewell06 said...

its ok everyone dont panic, the little brother threat has been eliminated

5:16 PM  
Blogger MEC said...

Little bro, run away!!! Anyway I saw Jordan@ ARby's (good food, too much)

11:33 PM  
Blogger julio said...

hehee,, "eliminated" does that mean what i hope it means?

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, he's still around...

11:09 PM  
Blogger JJewell06 said...

i dont think he'll be around for to much longer ;)

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

update !!!

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home